* Was created by the Department of Defense in the 1970s * Is a reduced version of the OSI Model * Is based on and around the TCP/IP Protocol suite.
- TCP/IP Model has four layers :
- Application Layer
- Transport Layer
- Internet Layer
- Network access or network interface layer
- All TCP/IP protocols are located on the top three layers.
- Protocols located on bottom layer are not part of the TCP/IP suite.
- Each layer corresponds to one or more OSI model layers.
* Defines protocols, services, and processes that allow programs and users to interface with the network
Common Application Layer Protocols :
* Provides communications session management between host computers
Common Transport Layer Protocols :
* Internet layer packages data into IP datagrams called packets
Common Internet Layer Protocols :
* Sometimes called Network Access Layer.
Standards Defined by This Layer :
- Token Ring
- Frame Relay